* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Sylvester Palm CareView Full Planting & Care Instructions
Sunlight Plant your Sylvester Palm in an area that receives full sun (6-8 hours of direct sunlight per day).
Watering Water your Palm 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week for the remainder of the first year after planting. Keep the soil moist but well-drained, watering more in times of drought and less when there is rainfall.
Fertilizing If necessary, use a palm-specific fertilizer for your Palm. Slow-release fertilizer is best to allow the smaller root system to uptake what it needs. Apply close to the base and start in spring/follow specific fertilizer instructions.
An Elegant Low Maintenance Palm
If you've always wanted to bring the tropics to your yard, then this is the palm for you. Sylvester Palms grow in a variety of climates and soils. They're extremely drought tolerant and low maintenance. Plant them, and watch them grow.
This Date Palm variety has the beautiful look that landscape designers are searching for. Their silvery blue-green leaves provide the dazzling color that causes people to stop and stare. They have a unique diamond pattern on their trunk that gives it a textured look similar to a pineapple.
Their long weeping branches spread into a circular canopy for a perfectly symmetrical look. It sits perfectly atop a long trunk. Golf courses and resorts are just dying to get their hands on these, and you can have them in your own yard.
Guests and neighbors won't know if they're near your home or a tropical getaway, especially when this palm starts to fruit and clusters of creamy white flowers transition to bright-colored dates, pollinated by birds and insects.
At first, they're orange and aren't ready to be harvested until they turn a dark purple to black color. Sylvester dates are commonly used for making wine and jams but can be eaten fresh.
These popular palms sell out fast. Don't hesitate to get yours today, before they're gone!
Looking for more palm trees to add to your collection? Check out our guide to popular types of palm trees.
Sylvester Palm Pollination
Sylvester Palms are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Sylvester Palm will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: You don't have to immediately repot your plant - you'll only need to repot approximately every other year, once your Palm outgrows its shipped container or original pot. Increase the pot size by 2 inches each time you repot to accommodate new growth.
If growing outdoors make sure you give the palm well-draining soil and adequate space above to grow.
This palm is very adaptable and will fill the space you allow it to grow in. For in-ground planting, you can expect your palm to get taller at around 40 ft compared to container-planted palms.
2. Watering: Mist your Palm weekly if kept indoors in addition to regular watering – this ensures that its native humid climate is simulated in your home. If you're not sure when to water, simply check the soil about 2 inches down. If the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
FGT Tip: If fronds begin to yellow, it could be a sign of overwatering. If you see yellowed fronds, allow time for the soil to dry before watering your plant again. Browning fronds, however, mean that your Palm is not getting enough water and needs more. Using a well-draining potting mix is key in getting this balance.
3. Pruning: Simply any fronds as they turn yellow or brown. This improves the look of your plant and creates clean space for healthier green fronds to grow. Be careful of the sharp spines and leaf tips when pruning your palm.
4. Fertilizing: You can apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms. If you prefer, you can also use a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $125||$19.95|
|$125 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||10-15 ft|
|Mature Width:||8-15 ft|
|Botanical Name:||Phoenix sylvestris|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 8-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 8-11 outdoors(hardy down to 20℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
What a beautiful palm! It had several new leaves and super healthy! Thank you so much, very happy with purchase!
Nice trees. Prompt delivery.
I am as always very pleased with service and the plants. Arrived quickly, efficient and safe packing used, and plants in excellent condition. Great experience with this company as always.
I love it
It's very wonderful
delivered as advertised
Everything is good so far.